Friday, April 23, 2010

Blogging Hiatus-- Review (Betrayed-- Coraline)

Hey all. I've been on a big blogging hiatus, so sorry. I've missed posting my reviews, because I'm always stuck with the thought of the book in my mind, nobody is really wanting to listen to me rant on and on about a book they haven't read yet. Even though not many people read this blog, I still like getting my reviews out, in hope maybe somebody will read and comment.
Anywhoo. I may have been on a blogging hiatus, but not a reading hiatus. I've read three books since my last review, I believe. I only remember three. So here is my review for Coraline.
The day after they moved in, Coraline went exploring....

In Coraline's family's new flat are twenty-one windows and fourteen doors. Thirteen of the doors open and close.
The fourteenth is locked, and on the other side is only a brick wall, until the day Coraline unlocks the door to find a passage to another flat in another house just like her own.
Only it's different.
At first, things seem marvelous in the other flat. The food is better. The toy box is filled with wind-up angels that flutter around the bedroom, books whose pictures writhe and crawl and shimmer, little dinosaur skulls that chatter their teeth. But there's another mother, and another father, and they want Coraline to stay with them and be their little girl. They want to change her and never let her go.
Other children are trapped there as well, lost souls behind the mirrors. Coraline is their only hope of rescue. She will have to fight with all her wits and all the tools she can find if she is to save the lost children, her ordinary life, and herself.
Review---
Coraline was an interesting book. I can't lie, I only read it mainly because everybody was buzzing about it so long ago, while I was searching for books to reserve at my library, that book came to mind. I'm not one to follow to crowd, so once the buzz dies down, thats when I take action.
I read this book in one day, it wasn't that hard to finish it, it after all is a short book. I however have never been a big fan of third person writing, but some authors can make it work. For instance--- Nicholas Sparks makes third person work VERY well.
In this case I thought it was okay, I liked the writing style, it kept me interested. At times I was a little creeped out, but that never stopped me from writing. The whole 'other mother' and 'other father' thing still gets me, and the small details. Remind me to watch the movie so I can get a better inlook on the smaller details.
The whole idea with the cat reminded me of Alice in Wonderland. The cat was her guide in a way through Wonderland. In this book, the cat was Coraline's guide through the 'other home'. The ending was also a bit confusing for me, but I think I understood most of it.
The author was very creative while writing this book, not all minds can think like that. I was inspired to write something while reading this book, which doesn't happen often.
My best friend is in to creepy books such as this one, her favorite author is R. L. Stine. I don't mind books like these, its good to add flavor right?
Overrall, I liked this book. I'd read it twice. (:

Until Next Book,
Justanotherauthor.

No comments:

Post a Comment